Petition 10/5/1837 with original name Independence County. The name was changed on December 14, 1837 to Fannin, in honor of James Walker Fannin, Jr., a martyred hero of the Texas Revolution. County created from a section of Red River County. On November 28, 1839, another act was passed by Congress to define the boundaries of Fannin County, which at the time included land that later became Grayson, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Montague, Wise, Clay, Jack, Wichita, Archer, Young, Wilbarger, Baylor, Throckmorton, Hardeman, Foard, Knox, Haskell, Stonewall, King, Cottle, and Childress counties, as well as parts of Hunt and Collingsworth counties. The present-day boundaries were established and approved on March 14, 1846.
County organized __. -Handbook of Texas Online: Fannin County